BACK to 'Hemiascomycetous Yeast Spliceosomal Introns'
- Phylogenetic distribution: Ubiquitous
- In nuclear tRNA genes (single intron)
- Small insertions invariably located in the anti-codon loop between the first two bases 3' of the anticodon in Eukaryotes, and in slightly locations in Archaea.
- 14-60 nucleotides
- no splice site consensus
- no consensus sequences, recognition by enzymes is indirect
- complementary to anti-codon, allows folding into alternate conformation
- Splicing mechanism: Enzymatic cascade (Eukarya and Archaea)
- Unusual splicing mechanism that relies upon 3-D structure rather than sequence.
- Catalysed by a cascade of specialised enzymes.
- Mechanism is slightly different between yeasts and vertebrates.
- Requirement for an external source of energy (ATP).
- ORF-less and Non-mobile.
Last modified: Tue Feb 10 11:20:44 CET 2004